HEALTHY EATING TIPS FOR CHILDREN
Below is a video I did on healthy eating for kids. As I say in the video I often get asked how parents can get their kids to eat healthier foods.
My daughter is 22 and so it has been a long time since I had a little one to cook or prepare foods for. So I went to the grocery store and looked at the foods that are there for kids. I have to say I was so surprised and shocked when I began to read all the labels on the cereals, granola bars, crackers, cookies and drinks that are sold for kids.
It is a crime that a grocery store can carry foods that could directly harm children. Packaged foods that contain dangerous chemicals, food dyes, sugar and preservative. These are our children!
Kids need nutrition as they grow. When did we get so far away from this. When and how did it all go so wrong. These “foods” that are packaged for kids lunches are not just devoid of any nutrition but are actually harmful!
What happened to fruit and vegetables?
Below is my video and then below the video is a list of 16 things you can do to make a difference in your child’s health. Please leave any comments, questions and or suggestions you have re healthy eating for kids. Everyone will appreciate them.
16 THINGS YOU CAN START RIGHT NOW TO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN YOUR CHILD’S HEALTH
- Read ALL labels of any packaged or canned food/drinks you buy for your kids (you MUST be aware of what is in the food products you are buying for them)
- Remove or substitute 1-2 “unhealthy” foods at a time with a “healthier” option
- Become aware – be conscious of what they are eating (packaged, canned, junk, snacks)
- Do some research (google ingredients you are unsure of)
- Bake and share recipes
- Substitute sugar, wheat and dairy as much as possible in recipes
- Be a good role model
- Try 1 new thing (or more) each week (new recipe, or food they haven’t tried before)
- Clean out cupboards, fridge, freezer – get rid of the “junk” if it is not there they will not grab for it
- Shop consciously – make a lit so you don’t forget an item that may be new for you to buy
- Call me and get a group together – I can do more info talks, recipes and food prep. Help you clean out your kitchen, do the shopping and some food prep
- Arrange 1 x a week or 2xweek baking with friends and other mothers (freeze the baking so you have a reserve)
- Recipe share and idea share – maybe a bulletin board at the school
- Let kids come up with their “healthy eating” ideas and suggestions
- Let kids play with their food, let them create (play in the kitchen) give them all the healthy ingredients and see what they come up with
- Have a contest at school or at home and give a prize or recognition for kids to come up with or make a healthy food – recipe or suggestion.
Please feel free to leave me a comment if you have any suggestions or comments about healthy eating for children. We would LOVE to hear from you.