HOW AND WHY TO ADD
CHIA SEEDS TO YOUR DIET
Above is a picture of chia seeds. There are white chia seeds and dark chia seeds. You may also see chia seeds in a bag and called “Salba”. You normally see the white chia seeds sold as Salba. There is actually no nutriional differences between the white and the dark. You can buy chia seeds at health food stores and now many grocery stores. I have seen a wide variety of prices for them. When labelled “Salba” they are usually more expensive. I actually find them cheaper at health food stores and the dark ones are usually cheaper.
BENEFITS OF CHIA
- Slows conversion of carbohydrates into sugar, regulating and sustaining healthy blood sugar levels
- Increases energy and helps sustain energy
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Helps reduce cravings for sweets & junk food
- Improves mental focus and concentration
- It is a high quality of protein – a complete protein
- Gluten Free
- Absorbs 12 x it’s weight in water. Helps to keep you hydrated
- Supports healthy elimination and detoxification
- Offers a balanced ratio of macronutrients
- Very high in Omega 3′s and essenail fatty acids
Nutrients Chia Contains:
- Essential fatty acids
- High quality protein
- Complex carbohydrates
- Soluable fiber
- Vitamins (B vitamins)
- Minerals (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron & copper)
How to Make Basic Chia Gel
- 2 Tbsp of chia seeds
- 12 Tbsp of filtered water
Place chia seeds in small bowl and add the filtered water. Stir and let sit for about 20-30 minutes. Stir it often as it sits and you will see it thicken.
This will make a thick chia gel. If you want it thinner, just add a bit more water.
The best thing about chia gel is that it doesn’t have any flavor. You can add it to basically anything. The texture may not be a favorite of everyone but that is why if you add it to something you don’t notice the texture and then can easily add it to your diet.
MULTIPLE WAYS TO ADD CHIA TO YOUR DIET
- 1 C Spinach
- 1/2 – 1 Banana
- 5 Frozen Mango Chunks (or another frozen fruit)
- 1 Apple
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 1.5 C filtered water
- 2-3 Tbsp chia gel
Add to blender and blend.
Chia Citrus Breakfast
This is one of my favourite ways of having chia.
- 1 grapefruit peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 orange peeled and cut into pieces
- 3-4 Tbsp chia gel
- Sprinkle of sweetener (optional)
Placed cut fruit into bowl and add chia and sweetener and stir. Enjoy! This is so refreshing and wonderful!
- Add 1 Tbsp of chia gel into your glass of water and sip on (needs to be stirred often)
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of chia to a glass of juice
- Add 1 Tbsp chia gel, lemon juice and a bit of honey to warm water
Adding Chia Gel to Foods:
- Blend frozen mangos, bananas, chia gel and a bit of water (just to help it blend) in food processor and make a pudding
- Add chia gel to yogurt (if you eat it) and berries
- Add chia gel to cereals
- Add to soups, stews (raw or cooked)
- Add to sauces, dressings and dips
Natural Energy Gel for Athletes
- 4-5 Tbsp chia gel
- 2 Tbsp of raw, unpasteurized honey or soaked, blended medjool dates
Mix or blend these together and you have a natural energy gel. It can be flavoured anyway you like or just use it plain. Some energy gels out there on the market are so full of junk, food dyes and preservatives. Make your own and feel better about it!
The Quickest Way to Consume Chia:
Each day eat 3 Tbsp of chia gel. That is it – easy as that.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 4 Tbsp Chia Gel
- 1/4 C Nut Milk
- 1 heaping tsp of Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Agave or honey (sweeten to your taste)
- Chopped banana
- Vanilla and cinnamon to taste
Add ingredients into a small bowl and stir well. This will store in fridge for a few days.
Chia seeds can also be ground in a coffee grinder and added into any recipe to help thicken it.
I always have chia gel in a glass container with a lid in my fridge. It can last up to 2 weeks so you can make a large batch. I like making smaller batches more often. It only takes 15-30 minutes for it to set so you can eat it and then it will continue to absorb water until it cannot absorb anymore.
This is such a fantastic super food and one that is inexpensive, very easy to prepare, without taste so can easily be added to so many things, is safe and nutritious for every member of your family.
As you can see there are numerous ways to add extra high quality nutrition into your day fast and easy. I consider chia a staple and I hope you find ways to add it into your day – every day!