FOOD KIDS SHOULD AVOID
& FOODS KIDS SHOULD EAT
With the rise of obesity amongst children, it is so crucial to start them on the healthy path at a young age. It is up to us, the parents to educate ourselves and to provide the best possible food (meaning nutrition) for our children.
We chose to bring them into this world so we NEED to take responsibility for their health. At least while they are young. But if you start when they are young and maintain healthy eating habits when they are growing up at home, you have done your part. You cannot control what they eat as adults or older teens but they will have a good foundation and knowledge that you have supplied to them.
I have decided to put the 2 lists in 2 separate blog posts. This first one are the foods to avoid. This may seem so overwhelming but remember – you don’t need to do it all at once. You also can choose what you will eliminate. You have to start somewhere. Just begin to become conscious, read labels, start to put more good foods into their diet and day. This is a process.
In the next blog post I am going to list some great healthy foods to add into their diet.
Let’s start with the ones to avoid and please stay tunned for the ones to add.
FOODS TO AVOID
- Granola Bars – High in sugar, high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), food dyes and preservatives
- Cheeze Strings – I consider these a form of plastic! Highly processed cheese, food dyes (usually annatto), very high in salt, mix of various cheeses and dairy products (such as whey), melted and mixed with emulsifiers (salts that change the texture and get them to mix together) and of course preservatives. Will these every go moldy??
- Kool-Aid – I know, we all grew up with this. Full of food dyes!!!! Now of course they have juice boxes and mixes that are very high in sugar and HFCS.
- Juice Boxes – Which are not juice at all. Full of sugar, HFCS, glucose-fructose and food dyes (I don’t mean natural ones, no matter what they say)
- Flavored Tortilla chips, chips, snacks, crackers (anything that has spices or is flavored like BBQ) – All contain MSG in some form, full of food dyes, loaded with preservatives, lime (not the healthy kind) and very high in salt. There are some plain ones that are not bad – READ LABELS
- Children’s Cereals – These are the worst!!! Full of sugar, HFCS, food dyes, preservatives, corn syrup, cornstarch, trisodium phosphate, high mono-saturated canola oil
- Peanut Butter such as Squirell, Jiffy, Kraft (Only buy real peanut butter – just nuts – read label) – Corn dextrin, sugar, salt, hydrgenated vegetable oils, maltodextrin, icing sugar, soybean oil, monoglycerides (an emulsifier).
- Roasted Nuts and Seeds – high in salt, over processed and over heated, roasted with cheap oils – all toxic
- Artificial Sweeteners – “Artificial” – ding, ding!!! NOT REAL!!.
- Aspartame, Equal, Nutrasweet: The FDA has had more complaints about artificial sweeteners than any other food additive, yet they are still sold. Aspartame – a synthetic compound made up of Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid held in a chemical bond by Methanol, which breaks down into Formic Acid, Formaldehyde and Diketopiperazine (DKP). It is the DKP that is associated with brain tumours!!
- Splenda – Contains chlorine, which is a proven carcinogen. Before sucralose was formally approved, research showed that it caused shrunken thymus glands and enlarged liver and kidneys! Please don’t fall for “Splenda is natural” advertising crap! NO artificial sweetener is real. They can only be harmful and so sad that these are consumed by kids. What effect will they have??
- Diet and Low-Fat or No-Fat Products – No one should consume these! Full of preservatives and/or artificial sweeteners, etc. Usually highly processed and devoid of any nutrients.
- Flavored Yogurts – In most cases (will not say all), these are high in sugar and preservatives and possibly food dyes.
- Lunch Meats, Hot dogs, Packaged Hamburgers, Deli-meats (on and on…..) – MSG, nitrates, nitrites (linked to heart disease, cancer, brain cancers, leukaemia). Processed meats have been linked to an increased risk of cancer due to additives used in meats such as sodium nitrite and MSG.
- Luncheables - Not a lunch at all!! Processed meats, cheeses full of food dyes, MSG, loaded with salt and full of preservatives. Come on – they don’t have to be refridgerated!!! I bet they can sit on a counter for years and look exactly the same – never change.
- Packaged Cheese and Crackers (with dips, etc) – Food dyes, MSG, preservatives and loaded with salt
- Colored Candies, gum – Loaded with sugar, HFCS, food dyes, MSG, preservatives, etc.
- Gatorade or any sports or energy drinks - THESE ARE BAD, VERY BAD, VERY BAD! Full of food dyes and sugar not to mention preservatives and possibly artificial sweeteners. KIDS DO NOT NEED THESE!
- White Flour - Highly processed often using chlorine and peroxides. It no longer contains any original nutrients. The body processes it as sugar and it contributes to obesity and diabetes. North Americans eat WAY to much of this. The gluten itself is responsible for so many allergies and illnesses people are walking around with (and probably don’t even realize).
Whew! Seem like a lot! and I missed some of course. There is so much junk out there I couldn’t possibly list it all. But, you get the idea.
Like I mentioned don’t get overwhelmed or scared that there is now NOTHING you can feed your child. REMEMBER – what did our grandparents eat??? REAL FOOD! We have to get back to real food. Cook, bake, prepare, cut – real food for them and yourself.
I know this is a Raw Food blog but I do not want to preach – go raw or nothing! My passion is to help people eat healthier and educate them on why it is so important.
As I said, please stay tunned for the next blog post which will give you some great foods to add into your family’s diet.